DEPARTMENT OF SAFETY, HEALTH, AND ENVIRONMENTAL ENGINEERING – UNDERGRADUATE PROGRAMS
- 1. Introduction
In Vietnam, Labor safety is the field of study founded by Ton Duc Thang University. Safety, Health And Environmental Engineering students are well-equipped with specialized knowledge about Mechanical Safety; Electrical Safety; Chemical Safety; Fire Prevention, Occupational Health, Occupational Physiology; Ergonomics; National and International Standards on Occupational Safety and Health; Occupational Health and Safety Management System (OHSMS);…. Graduates are capable of working on Health, Safety and Environmental Department; Assessment of Labor Risks; Monitoring and improving working conditions for employees; establishing, implementing and improving occupational safety and health management systems based on national and international standards.
The Training Program is based on the curriculum framework of the University of Queensland, Australia being in the world’s top 100 universities.
- 2. Objectives of training program
Have the solid knowledge background in both theory and practice, the independent working skills, a creative thinking to be able to integrate and develop in the labor market of Vietnam and the world that requires the highly qualified.
Students have the research skills, the scientific manners, the ability to propose research ideas, and the systematic thinking ability in the area of Safety, Health, and Environment.
Students have the sense of learning and improving their knowledge in the spirit of lifelong learning; have the professional manners and attitudes in the multinational environment; have the responsibility to protect the health and safety of workers in the process of development and international integration.
- 3. Graduation requirements
The knowledge and skills students can get:
- Proficient in the foreign language and computer skills to support the learning, research and work in the international environment. (Computer skills: Microsoft Office Specialist (MOS) Certification (750); proficient in applied computing at work. Language proficiency: IELTS 5.0, TOEIC 500 or equivalent).
- The systematic development of the basic knowledge of political theory, nature and society to identify and resolve the situations and issues related to occupational health and safety at the enterprise.
- Analysis and application of laws and regulations under the law, the knowledge of the human body, the principles of human biology and health behaviors to advice on occupational health and safety in the enterprises, and the organization and management of occupational safety and health.
- Selecting the optimal solution in the labor-environment treatment technology that based on the basic principles, principles of application and the status of the business.
- Application of the knowledge in the pollution mitigation and prevention, the sustainable production practice and OHS interventions at the enterprises.
- Consulting all services on safety and labor sanitation to ensure the occupational health of workers at the enterprises.
- Developing the training programs on occupational safety and health for all target groups in accordance with the Law on Occupational Safety and Health, in order to minimize the hazards and risks of occupational accidents at the enterprise.
- Design of the environmental treatment system in production activities at the enterprises, the safety system in chemical activities, fire and explosion, pressure equipment, and the safety system when working on high and working in limited space.
- Proposing the measures to prevent and reduce pollution, to control hazard and to manage the risk; Ensuring safety and health for workers.
- Developing the new research directions about the sustainable use of natural resources and energy; implementing the sustainable development solutions in the industrial activity; intervention solutions in OHS.
- Effective communication through writing and presenting reports
- Teamwork and individual work skills
- Having professional ethics; adhering the principles of occupational safety; having the good moral qualities; understanding and obeying the law; respecting and protecting workers; actively participating in community activities.
- 4. Career prospects
According to current statistics, 100% graduates work in a field related to their majors; 50% of students get a job when they are in the last year of college or ordered by enterprises. Yearly, more than 55 businesses contacted to recruit personnel. Moreover, more than 80% of businesses feel satisfied with training quality and graduate’s specialist knowledge. The labor protection engineer can work in all production enterprises, multinational corporations, construction projects and state management agencies in terms of labor safety.
- Have an opportunity to get a good salary and for career advancement in foreign-invested companies and multinational corporations.
- Construction projects.
- Consulting firm on international standards on quality management.
- Research institutes of Occupational Health and Safety.
- State management agencies over occupational Health and Safety.
Graduated students from Safety, Health And Environmental Engineering , Ton Duc Thang University are always the priority of state agencies and companies such as Holcim LTD, Intel Corporation, Kimberly Clark Group, Hoa Sen Group, PetroVietnam Technical Services Corporation (PTSC), Hoa Binh Corporation, Coteccons, Unicons, Kinden Vietnam, FrieslandCampina Vietnam, Vinamilk company, etc.