Waste segregation at source
Being aware of the importance of preserving and protecting the green, clean and beautiful environment, from 2017, Ton Duc Thang University (TDTU) has invested in a special waste bin system to carry out the waste segregation. The total volume of domestic waste at TDTU is estimated at 1,000 kg/day, and about 70% is categorized as organic waste including leftover food and garbage from canteens' cooking activities which are classified separately to use as food for animals. The remaining 30% is inorganic waste such as paper, carton, plastic bottles, soft drink cans, glass bottles, and metal which are collected separately for waste recycling facilities.
Waste segregation is an important activity of TDTU to reduce the amount of mixed waste. It is also in accordance with the policy of Ho Chi Minh City which plans to implement waste segregation at source in 24 districts by 2020. According to the plan, the participation rate in proper waste segregation should reach minimum 50% and increase gradually in the following years to reach at least 80% by 2025.
TDTU also regularly carries out activities for awareness raising and skills training for students and lecturers in implementing the solid waste segregation at source, which contributes to environmental protection and sustainable development of society.
Here are images relating to waste segregation at source from TDTU: